Sunday, July 16, 2006

fotoLocket

FotoLocket is the catch-all term for a collaborative photo blog in development, a photo storage device to be sold online, and sundry other image-related enterprises currently in development.

The blog will have photo essays, galleries, tips, tutorials, and the goal is to tap into an overwhelmingly rich and ubndersappreciated talent pool I and partner Sam Stearman have found via Flickr, a photo sharing website that brings together folks from as disparate locales as New Zealand, France, Thailand and Hong Kong.

We want all those amazing images and the stories behind them to be seen and heard and felt. And we want to try to promote those who work with us and vice versa. Our goal is to get people working together and helping each other out. The project is all about artists helping artists, working together, not apart, creating win-win situations and the like.

As for the photo storage device, I'll let Sam tell you about that in his own words. Oh, and by the way, Sam is good, good people folks and a hell of a photographer. You can check out his work at Samsays.com...

SAM'S FOTOLOCKET
Sam’s foto Locket offers secure protection for digital photos dear to any photographer – whether a novice or professional - in a small portable unit which easily fits in a shirt or jacket pocket. Shoot what you want – when you want – where you want. Then quickly upload pictures to the foto Locket and erase your media card with the complete assurance that your pictures are safe and secure.
  • No need to buy spare memory cards when going on holiday...
  • Never miss a shot because your memory card is full...
  • Upload your pictures while out shooting without any need to lug your laptop computer along
Sam says...
I retired 3 years ago to travel the world and take photos – two hobbies I adore. A year ago, while on a shoot in Macau I watched with intrigue as a professional photographer friend I was traveling with uploaded his photos from his camera to a pocket-sized external hard drive during lunch. The whole process was so effortless, and the entire routine so unconscious -- as if he were merely entering someone’s number into a cell phone -- that I was immediately afflicted with a major case of “ease” envy.

Three weeks later I left on an extended trip to the US, Brazil and South Korea outfitted with my very own pocket-sized media photo “locket” – as I’ve come to call it -- and hundreds of high resolution photos and countless stress-free hours later I was thanking my lucky stars for having made one of the best investments of my life. Traveling now without this accessory is as inconceivable to me as a world without email or cell phones. I honestly don’t know how I ever managed to get by without one.

It came as a bit of a shock to me when I realized I’m just about the only kid on the block with one of these. The “Locket” is virtually unavailable outside China.

I like my unit so much – to the point where I believe any serious photographer or any serious lover of cherished memories ought to have one -- that I started looking into how to improve it; how to make it more reliably suit the needs of travels to remote regions, how to make it affordable as an alternative to extra media cards and how to expand its use so it can serve as an external hard disk for desktop and laptop computers alike.

Sam’s fotoLocket is the result! My retirement is over.

No comments: